Para Modules: Custom Versioning & Map Picker
This week at Parashift, we launched another two Para Modules. Custom Versioning and Map Picker. The two new additions continue to expand of our never ending collection of add-ons; for not only the Alfresco suite, but other Enterprise Content Management systems.
Documents are the lifeblood of any organisation, and the need to collaborate and upload new document versions has become more prevalent than ever.
With Alfresco’s out-of-the-box system, you receive basic version number support for both minor and major version changes of a document. The numbering starts at 1.0, and increments by one with major or minor versions, depending on the choice of the user. But what if your document is a draft? This would mean that it is not even at version 1 yet.
Parashift’s Custom Versioning module extends the flexibility of the Alfresco version numbering. This allows versioning to begin with any pair of numbers, such as 0.0 or 0.1, or in fact any other number that is deemed appropriate.
- Custom versioning gives users added flexibility to version numbering, so that you can draw the line in the sand from draft to approval.
- The Custom Versioning module makes it clear for users to understand that documents produced at version 0.x have not yet been approved. This makes for transparency within your organisation to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Search Made Simple. Searching for draft documents can be made by specifying the search string: “cm:versionLabel:0”, thus saving time in the searching process.
Alfresco’s search engine is powered by one of the internet’s most powerful indexing engines: Solr.
Solr delivers search for the enterprise that is not only blazingly fast but remarkably smart. It indexes the content of documents as well as their metadata, making searching effective and fast. If a scanned document is further processed with Optical Character Recognition (OCR), it can also search for text within the image. But what if you wanted to search for documents or images based on a particular area on a map? Or what if you wanted to know which one of your contracts was from a certain region?
Parashift’s Map Picker add-on for Alfresco lets users define an area on a map to further discover which documents or images are based in that area. Map Picker lets Solr do all the hard work searching for geolocated documents. Users now have an additional method of searching, increasing productivity and efficiency.
- The Map Picker module allows Alfresco users to perform geolocated searches, saving time by finding specific documents or images in a particular area.
- The Map Picker module is conveniently places in the advanced search window for easy access when searching.
- Don’t be concerned about permission levels. The Map Picker module only returns documents that users have permission to view.
- If you decide to leave the text search field empty, Map Picker will display all the documents that were fund within that area.
All of our Para Modules are open source and offered just like Alfresco, on a subscription basis, giving users access to supported upgrades and maintenance and Parashift’s GitLab server for sources and updates. If the subscription is cancelled, the module will continue to function; however, continued upgrades and maintenance will not be provided.
Should you wish to enhance your Alfresco system. Contact us to do so.