Para Modules: Document Linking & Quick Print
This week Parashift decided to launch our very own, Para Modules. And in particular the Document Linking and Quick Print modules.
Since our inception, Parashift has designed and built outstanding solutions for our clients delivering an ever richer feature set than what is available out-of-the box. Through our client centric development approach, we have identified themes that our clients want.
A Para Module is a practical add-on enhancement for your Alfresco system. They are an ever growing range of simple to highly sophisticated systems that improve Alfresco’s capabilities. All have been identified through our many client engagements over the years.
The Para Modules are open source and offered just like Alfresco, on a subscription basis, giving users access to supported upgrades and maintenance and Parashift’s GitLab server for sources and updates.
Parashift will slowly be releasing all Para Modules as they become available. It is expected that there will be an ever growing repertoire of add-ons for Alfresco users to enjoy.
Traditionally, the only way to enable a document to be accessible from multiple locations in a content management system, is to physically copy and duplicate the document. To then ensure the most up-to-date copy is available at all locations, this step needs to be completed at each revision. This results in decreases in productivity, losses in efficiency and dramatic increases in human error.
Parashift’s Document Linking add-on for Alfresco allows users to access documents from multiple locations, without having to copy or duplicate them to other sites or folders. The module also solves other challenges by ensuring any changes made to the parent document are automatically replicated to all versions regardless of their location in Alfresco. All users will now have confidence that they are always working with the most up-to-date version, such as pricing lists and company policies and procedures.
- Simple. Simple to set up and simple to use with just a few clicks of your mouse, you can have one document in many different homes.
- Manageable. Should you change the name or make any small changes to your document, the links will automatically update from all referenced locations.
- Sync. Any change (content or metadata) made to the physical document is immediately reflected in all the documents linked to that referenced location.
- Flexibility. Don’t want your documents to be linked anymore? That’s okay, you can remove these with one click of a button. All without affecting the original document.
- Visibility. You have complete visibility. An icon shows that the document is linked to another location, or is a link to a document.
- Preservation. If you decide to move your primary document to a different location, there is no need to worry. All links are maintained when a different location is decided for the primary document.
- RM Compliance. The Document Linking module is now records management compatible by allowing you to link documents which have been declared as a record. You can even externally link documents outside of the file plan.
One of the biggest roadblocks with Alfresco’s built-in viewer is its inability to view and print documents without having to download them. The current process requires users to download the intended document, open it in the relevant application and then print it. This can be a cumbersome task for users who handle hundreds of documents a day, especially if they are large files. For users, this results in decreases in productivity and efficiency.
Parashift’s Quick Print add-on for Alfresco lets users perform this action quickly by allowing printing directly from the browser, all without having to download it. The module adds a ‘View Printable PDF’ button to your list of actions, which then works with a document (eg: .docx, .xlsx) to be transformed into a PDF to be further printed.
- Browser Based. The Quick Print module allows users to print their document directly from any browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari, Opera).
- Convenience. The ‘View Printable PDF’ button is conveniently placed in your list of actions, for each document. This allows for the quick printing of multiple documents.
- Save Time. The Quick Print module’s hero feature is saving time. Print your document without having to download and open it, saving copious amounts of time.
- Conversion. Should you have a different type of document such as an Excel Spreadsheet or Word Document, the Quick Print module will convert this into a PDF.
- Visibility. You don’t even have to click into the document if you don’t want to. The Quick Print module will let you print document from the folder view, saving even more time.
Should you wish to enhance your Alfresco system. Contact us to do so.